Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Panic again?

The articles remind me about Putnam’s time displacement concept. Especially the information available extremely exceeds the time we can spend on it, so the phenomenon of time displacement is much more serious nowadays, or perhaps we should say “attention displacement.”

It is possible when we spend time on the content, probably we don’t pay much attention on it. In addition, when people are multitasking, how much attention can they pay on the variety of content from different technology applications? From the perspective of media companies, do they care about the time you spend on their products or your attention on them? It seems hard to measure when distinguishing these two elements.

Online news industry has found it difficult to charge for access to online content. For me, the time when I need to pay for access to online news is the time when I have to access their archive for reading old news (I paid for an online news archive in Taiwan for doing content analysis). It is ironic for me that we pay for old instead of new in the news market.

The article, “Better than Free,” proposes eight categories of intangible value that we buy when we pay for something that could be free. I wonder if it is possible to apply to the news environment (still seems hard for me).
  1. Immediacy
  2. Personalization
  3. Interpretation
  4. Authenticity
  5. Accessibility
  6. Embodiment
  7. Patronage
  8. Findability

P.S. An interesting video clip about Web 2.0



No comments:

Post a Comment