Wednesday, September 30, 2009

too many to choose

Using information surplus to predict the online news media would be always free or can't deny the trend of over supply is insightful. In addition, how can we use the economic models or ideas, such as information surplus, to do a empirical study? Or is it a macro-level explanation that overall media will go to this direction? How do you think about the major media decide to charge the audience altogether, will it make a difference? (from the long tail theory, even the paper about citation of journal distribution, people still focus on certain major, well-known journals/products/media)

Both articles look at the bright side of the Internet, but Iris also touches the consequence brought from sensational or sexual information from media and suggests us to redirect our eyes from media-centric to people-centric issues. I'm more interested in this part rather than saying I have no idea and just fully submit to the sensational trend in media contents, which still have great influence on the soceity. Is there any new ideas to study the media literary or media education in the new media era?

Just chatting:
I was so attracted by the Apple daily for years after it was introduced to Taiwan (there're at least two different newspapers we read each day in my family, not just Apple daily), but I suddenly feel it's not attractive to me when going back home this summer. I don't know why but I feel I need to read something more important (very vague...:p) rather than the typical pattern of bloody body, people's imagined pron stories, naked pictures, or all kinds of fashion products. (Maybe just tired of this pattern...) It's weak in political coverage or analysis of important social issues... maybe I'm getting old....:D (but its magazine did a good job in investigation journalism and interview.)

No comments:

Post a Comment